1.18.2012

Back in Black

Winter is in full swing (at least every other day - this weather is so weird) and there is nothing I love more than dark, bold, winter nails.  While I love a classic black glossy mani,  I get that that can be too intense for some.  I  also think that black polish chips faster for some reason (or is it just more noticeable when it chips?  chicken or the egg?), so I've been looking into some ways to spice up black lacquer. 

The basic building block for all of the below looks is a good black polish.  Here are a few I can recommend:

Essie Licorice

Deborah Lippmann Fade to Black

Wet N' Wild Black Creme



 One of my top contenders, as first seen on Pinterest, is the matte french manicure.  

While this look could technically be done with any color, I think that black would probably make the biggest statement.  You can recreate by painting nails black, taping off tips with scotch tape (or those fancy french-tip stickers) and applying a mattifying top coat to the top part of nail.  I was gifted with Essie Matte About You  (thanks, Casey!) this Christmas and I plan recreating very soon.  




Tumblr_l32birp0xq1qzzt81o1_500_large

Shiny black polish looks party-ready with a gold and red ombre glitter top coat.  This polish looks both tough and glam at the same time.  Black, ombre, and glitter - three of my favorite things in one nail look!




 

This nail art is supposed to resemble chocolate nonpareils.  Am I the only one who just sees confetti?  Either way, I like it.  I like the concentration of design near the tip instead of all over.  Even though this look is intended to be done in dark brown, I think black polish with bright - dare I say neon (helloooo spring trend) would be even better.  Paint nails in two clean coats of black, then use nail art pens, skinny brushes, or even a toothpick to add colorful dots near the tips.  Another look I'm sure to try any day now.  




Black with a winter twist - glitter fade and snowflakes.  I recently rocked snowflakes for the holidays and, although a manicurist painted them for me, they have to be one of the simplest nail designs to DIY.  It's easiest to use white polish or acrylic paint and a nail art brush, but you could even try a toothpick.  It goes without saying I think that pretty much all Wah manicures are fashionably fabulous.  





1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely one of the few who is intimidated by black polish. And I think its just the chips being more noticeable because of the dark color! Lol Thanks for the great ideas though (: I wanna figure out how to master the second look with the gradient glitter. Mines never comes out looking like the gradient look.

    ReplyDelete