4.13.2011

Nail Polish in the News

I'm pretty sure all of America has heard about the J. Crew nail polish "scandal" by now.  I think it is beyond absurd that this would even make trashy news, let alone CNN and the Today show.  Here is the image that has sparked so much controversy:


The caption run under this ad portraying J.Crew president and creative director Jenna Lyons and her son Beckett read "Lucky for me I ended up with a boy whose favorite color is pink.  Toenail painting is way more fun in neon."

Why is this news???!!!  Because some conservative freaks have turned this adorable moment captured between mother and child into a major gender-bending crisis.  I'll spare you specific details, but come on, do you really think that a child wearing (or not wearing) toenail polish will have any effect on their sexuality later on?  No.  I cannot tell you how many times I've told my precious 4 year old students "colors are for everyone, not only boys or only girls."  There is a constant conversation on pink being a girls color and blue being a boys color.  I'm not a fan of the song, but in the words of Lady Gaga, we were born this way.  Gay, straight, tomboy, whatever let's find something a little more serious to put on the news than this (and this is coming from a nail polish addict).  

In lighter yet still related news, I am wearing this SAME COLOR on my toenails right now!  It's called Pink Parka by Essie.  I highly recommend, it, looking at my bright toes instantly lifts my mood.  Beckett must have been on to something...

1 comment: